Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spring Rainbow Cake

For the Easter holiday I was looking for some unique dessert ideas.  I went to good old trusty Google and typed in "unique Easter desserts".  After hitting search a ton of images appeared at the top of the page and the one that really drew my attention was the beautiful rainbow cake posted by Omnomicon.  Being that this was my first attempt at a rainbow cake I wasn't sure I wanted to make it as elaborate as what you see on that site.  That very creative lady made two layers out of two box cake mixes, made it a diet cake, created her own frosting, and incorporated all 7 colors of the rainbow.  I on the other hand made it out of one box cake mix, kept it unhealthy, used Duncan Hines (and tinted it green) frosting instead of my own, and only did 3 spring colors. 

Here is how it works.  You get a white cake mix, or 2 if you are feeling adventurous and have a lot of people to feed off of the cake, and mix it up as the direction on the box instruct.  Then divide the batter into as many bowls as you will have colors.  I chose three colors so I divided my batter up equally into three bowls.  The three colors I chose were teal, purple, and lime green.  I used the gel food coloring because those colors are much more vibrant than your regular old food coloring.  After mixing the colors up into each of the bowls I started ladling them out into my 2 9" greased round pans.  I took measuring cup and just plopped the color in.  I let it settle and dropped another color into the other pan.  I just kept repeating this process, plopping a different color batter on the already plopped batter, until both bowls of batter of all three colors was evenly distributed amongst the two pans.  Just a tip...the white cake mix is not runny like most because of the egg whites so it is a bit more gelled.  That is what made it easy to stack the colors.  Just once you pour a color into the pan and start layering the colors you can shake your pan just a bit to spread it out some. 

Now...I had pictures of this entire process but in my angst of going through all our Easter pictures the other day I somehow deleted all my photos except for the end result.  Hopefully my directions are clear and if you are going to attempt this cake I hope it is as easy for you as it was for me.  The end result was not only pretty but delicious!!  Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment