Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ice Cream Cupcakes

Thought it would be a nice summer treat and a nice surprise for the girls to make them a special dessert.  Being that they like ice cream and they like cupcakes...I thought I would try my hand at making them some ice cream cupcakes.  These are simply cupcakes that are baked inside of an ice cream cone and then decorated to look like an actual dripping cone of ice cream.  They were a big hit and the girls loved them! 

Here is how I did it....

1.  Mixed the box cake mix according to the package.  Lined my cupcake pan with cupcake liners, so the cones wouldn't stick, then placed the cones inside the liners. 


2.  I poured the prepared batter into the cone.  You don't want to fill them to full or they will spill out all over the place....I stopped at the line right before the top. 



3.  I cooked them for the amount of time that the box states to cook cupcakes.  I check them with a toothpick to make sure it came out clean and that they were done. 


4.  Next it was time to ice them.  I have a rather unique technique for icing.  I don't enjoy trying to ice my cupcakes and messing the frosting all up by getting cake chunks all over the place.  I take the frosting out of the tub and put it in a microwavable safe bowl. I put it in the microwave for about 25 seconds...just long enough to get it a little melted and smoother.  I then dip my cupcake, or in this case, my "ice cream" cone into the frosting.  This is a quick way to frost and it allows you to put just a moderate amount on your cupcake.  I'm not a huge fan of a ton of icing, nor do I like the calories, so this work out perfectly. 




5.  Now it was time to add the final touches..and decorate.  To top this tasty treat off I poured some ice cream hard shell syrup on top of the cupcakes.  Don't worry about the drips that go down the side...that is what gives it the look of melting ice cream.  To top it all off I sprinkled on some rainbow sprinkles.  I popped them in the fridge for a few hours to get the frosting to set nicely.  Tasty and fun treat!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment